From West Warwick, Rhode Island, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 14 months ago. Since then, I have gained 25 pounds. I have been following my daily diet and do exercise regularly, but I keep gaining weight! My doctor says there is no reason why I keep gaining the weight except that it could be the quality of food I'm eating. Can the insulin I'm taking be the main reason for my weight gain?

In most studies where patients go from poor control to good control, there is weight gain associated with the process. Your body is adjusting from a state of lack of insulin and elevated blood sugars to one where there is more adequate insulin and improved glucose disposal. The glucose that is eliminated is moved into fat tissue, if not consumed through activity. Therefore, it is very important to make sure the calorie intake of your daily food intake is not excessive. There is less wiggle room with better blood sugar control. Another issue that also happens to patients when they start insulin is there can sometimes be insulin edema where fluid builds up, only for the short term. If weight gain continues, make sure the insulin dosing is not excessive, that you are not recurrently low and having to eat to stay up, and be sure to see a dietitian to help with quantitating your food and daily calorie intake.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss and Insulin