Question:

From Ottawa, Ontario, Canada:

We recently bought a hot tub. I am aware of vasodilation and the risk of quicker absorption of insulin. Is there a range of blood sugar levels that we should maintain prior to allowing our son to enter the hot tub? We are limiting the time spent in the hot tub to 15 minutes only. Also, can hot tubing have a delayed effect in causing hypoglycemic episodes? We have noticed that if he goes in tub around 10 p.m., he tends to have a "dip" overnight somewhere between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m. Is this just coincidence?

Answer:

I have a hard time worrying about 15 minutes. It's the long time, active time, that I worry about, so just check his blood sugars to make sure he's doing okay.

Additional comments from Dr. Matthew Brown:

I'm unaware of any problems or correlations with blood sugars that you should expect from using a hot tub.