From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

I developed diabetes in 2001 as a side effect of a medication I was given to treat pneumonia and have been taking insulin since then. I weigh about 155 pounds. I take 31 units of Lantus in the morning and 29 units of Lantus in the evening. I also take what I think is a lot of Humalog, usually 10 or 11 units three times a day, and then four or five units at bedtime. Is that a lot of Humalog compared to other people?

Everyone has their own level of sensitivity to insulin. Therefore, there are different doses for different people. In the big picture, this is not a huge dose of insulin for short-acting insulin. The main issue is that you are meeting your target range for your A1c levels and your self-monitored blood sugars. If you do not know what these are, be sure to speak with your physician or diabetes care team about these. It is very important you know these target values.

Posted to Insulin Analogs and Daily Care