Question:

From Powder Springs, Georgia, USA:

I have started to use Dreamfields Healthy Carb Living Spaghetti lately, but am very confused on how I should bolus my daughter for the carbohydrate count. The box states it has 5 grams of digestible carbohydrates, but I do not understand this. Does this mean for a 2 ounce serving I only have to give her a 5 gram bolus? Looking at the Nutrition Facts, it says the total carbohydrates are 42 grams and there are 5 grams of dietary fiber. So, for the 2 ounce serving, she should get 37 grams of carbohydrates. I guess I just don't understand what a digestible carbohydrate is. Can you tell me how many grams I should use for a 2 ounce serving?

Answer:

The way I teach to use fiber in carbohydrate counting is if the dietary fiber is 5 grams or more per serving, you can subtract this from the total carbohydrate. Hence, a 42 gram carbohydrate serving of pasta with 5 grams of fiber would produce a net carbohydrate of 37 grams of carbohydrates. The Dreamfields folks are claiming their pasta is formulated with additional fiber and nutrients that allow for more carbohydrates to be eliminated from the total carbohydrate estimate due to the fact that they are not absorbed in the intestines. I would begin with the first calculation (37 grams of carbohydrates), give insulin based on this, monitor blood sugars two to three hours later, then readjust if necessary.

JMS

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Insulin