Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from June 2007

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I'm 18 and I was recently diagnosed with diabetes after ketoacidosis. I took insulin and pills for a month, now just pills. What type of diabetes do I have? (30 Jun 2007)

2. When she plays, my five-year-old's blood sugar drops to 45 mg/dl [2.5 mmol/L] to 70 mg/dl [3.9 mmol/L]. Why is this happening? (30 Jun 2007)

3. Can endothelial dysfunction cause decreased extravascular movement of insulin? (30 Jun 2007)

4. Eighteen months after his diagnosis, my teen son uses relatively little insulin. I once read that some long-term diabetics produce some insulin for years. Is this true? Could my son be one of those people? (30 Jun 2007)

5. Should a young adult with type 1 diabetes be on ACE inhibitors as a precaution even if there is no kidney disease present? (30 Jun 2007)

6. My son just switched to Lantus a month ago and takes it at night. Because his morning blood sugars are high, should he take Humalog at night as well? When should he take his metformin? (30 Jun 2007)

7. This year, my daughter has been hospitalized seven times in DKA. The doctor believes it's from omitting insulin. I don't this is the case. What else could cause such frequent DKA? (30 Jun 2007)

8. What were the dietary restrictions suggested to type 1s 30 to 50 years ago, or at least before rapid acting insulins were available? Do you think changes in the types of foods permitted for diabetics came primarily from the fact that the old "diabetic diet" is difficult to follow? (29 Jun 2007)

9. Just diagnosed with type 2, my mom was given no patient education, just told to return in three months for a blood test. Is it just me or did we get the brush off? (29 Jun 2007)

10. As a new resident of the U.S., where can I find information on how to dispose of my used insulin syringes and pen needles? (29 Jun 2007)

11. I was fired from a job after calling in to say I wasn't coming in because I was low. At other jobs, I've been told I couldn't take breaks for lows. I have always disclosed my diabetes. What should I do next time? (29 Jun 2007)

12. My wife's brother has DIDMOAD. What are the odds that our offspring could inherit this condition? (27 Jun 2007)

13. Although she has good control, my niece is always thirsty and always carries a water bottle. Could she be dehydrated? Why is this happening? (27 Jun 2007)

14. My teen daughter lies constantly about her blood sugars and skips shots. I've sent her to a counselor, but nothing is working. What should I do? (27 Jun 2007)

15. I have type 1, as does my sister and my older son. My younger son has increased thirst and occasional elevated blood sugars. Is there anything I can do to prevent/delay type 1 onset? (26 Jun 2007)

16. After a migraine, my son was tested and said he does not have diabetes. He has had more migraines and urinates 12 times a day. Could this be something else in the diabetes family? (25 Jun 2007)

17. After my husband lost his job, I tried to get insurance through my employer, but had an issue with a pre-existing clause. I was told that insurers in Texas cannot have a pre-existing clause. Is this true? What can I do? (24 Jun 2007)

18. I had to hospitalize my daughter for a psychotic episode and they put her on Risperdal, which causes her to sleep soundly. I am worried she will sleep through a low blood sugar. Should I be concerned? I plan to test her during the night until her endocrinologist returns to the area. (24 Jun 2007)

19. For several years, my brother has had an elevated A1c with normal blood glucose levels. Would you consider him diabetic? (24 Jun 2007)

20. Since he has gotten better control, my nephew is gaining extra weight. How do we prevent this? He needs carbohydrates and calories to grow and exercise creates lows, which are treated with more food. (24 Jun 2007)

21. Because I have type 1, are there increased risks with breast augmentation surgery? How long before the procedure do I need better control? What should my blood sugar be at the time of the operation? (24 Jun 2007)

22. What effect do growth spurts, 1 inch or more within a 30 to 60 day period, have on blood sugar levels? My son does not have diabetes, but has elevated blood sugars when in a growth spurt. (24 Jun 2007)

23. I've been undergoing tests for hypoglycemia and need to have my insulin antibodies tested. What is an insulin antibody? What do my other test results mean? (24 Jun 2007)

24. Can persistent hyperglycemia and insulin resistance in type 2 diabetics be due to decreased transcapillary movements of insulin by hypotonicity of blood due to elevated glucose or otherwise? (24 Jun 2007)

25. Given the affects of dopamine, I wonder how your team can be confident there is no relationship between ADHD, dopamine and insulin levels. Could it be this has not been studied? (24 Jun 2007)

26. My teen has started taking one shot of Levemir in the morning. His morning numbers are high. Does he need two daily injections? Does Levemir last as long as Lantus? (24 Jun 2007)

27. Recently, someone told me that new research shows that type 1 diabetics will not awake on lows. What is your opinion and what should I do about that? (23 Jun 2007)

28. What happens if you give a glucagon shot to someone who you think is low, but is high instead? Is it better to call 911 and wait? Will their blood sugar go even higher? (23 Jun 2007)

29. My son's clinic wants him to switch from Actrapid/Insulatard to NovoRapid/glargine. Are these insulins safe? Is there a limit to the amount of insulin one can take daily? (23 Jun 2007)

30. I was diagnosed with type 1 last month and was told by a perinatologist to follow a strict diet for gestational diabetes since I hope to conceive. Is this appropriate advice? (23 Jun 2007)

31. Symptomatic six years ago and sent to a diabetes clinic, my daughter was not diagnosed with diabetes. Recently, she was symptomatic again, with blood, protein and ketones in her urine. Her blood sugar was 7.3 mmol/L [131 mg/dl]. Is this considered normal? (17 Jun 2007)

32. If you have a normal C-Peptide level, does that mean you don't have type 1 diabetes even though you have positive antibodies, hypothyroidism, and a strong family history of diabetes? (16 Jun 2007)

33. I've had type 1 for 20 years. What are the chances my toddler will get it? Is it safe for me to get pregnant again? Will this advance complications in the future? (15 Jun 2007)

34. I've seen bananas in most of the sugar free cake recipes I found. Aren't bananas a no-no for diabetics? (15 Jun 2007)

35. Can fasting cause you to fail the one hour glucose test? I was 158 mg/dl [8.8 mmol/L] after fruit and a piece of cake. Is that high? (14 Jun 2007)

36. Sometimes, my son will drink a lot of water quickly, then throw up. Afterwards, he often has ketones. Could he have something else that requires medical attention? How should I deal with the higher ketones? At what point should I be concerned about the ketones? (14 Jun 2007)

37. My 12-year-old daughter is 4 feet, 8 inches and weighs 138 pounds. Is this borderline diabetes? (14 Jun 2007)

38. Diagnosed with type 1 two weeks ago when I was in DKA, I was told to stop taking insulin because of my lows. Might I not have type 1? Could I be in my honeymoon period? (14 Jun 2007)

39. My son has type 1 and ADHD. He is not very attentive to his diabetes and I am worried about his future. How can I get him to focus on his health? I am looking for options other than a psychiatrist. (12 Jun 2007)

40. Could the liquids and medications used on my son's burns in 2002 have caused his diabetes two years later? (10 Jun 2007)

41. When I changed to him, my new doctor said that my Glucovance and Actos should not really be used together. He told me to continue with them because I was doing well and had a lower A1c. Is it okay to take both at the same time? (10 Jun 2007)

42. My daughter had glucose in her urine according to a dip stick test. What does this mean? Should I take her to the doctor? (10 Jun 2007)

43. Where can I find a babysitter for my children? Since my daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1, I would like to find someone who can recognize lows and administer insulin, if needed. (10 Jun 2007)

44. Can tonicity of blood change causing cell volume changes of intimal lining and of circulating cells effecting normal transcapillary movement of insulin? (9 Jun 2007)

45. According to the CGMS she is using, my daughter's blood sugars are going up and down dramatically during the night. Could this be from the Zyrtec she is taking or increased summer activity? (9 Jun 2007)

46. Since she had severe urinary infections, the doctor said to avoid giving my daughter sweets. Another doctor suggested I take her to a specialist. Yesterday, my daughter's blood sugar was 214 mg/dl [11.9 mmol/L], but it went down. Should I pursue the specialist? (8 Jun 2007)

47. Diagnosed with type 1 in March 2006, my teen daughter has experienced a slow heartbeat four times and problems taking deep breaths when her blood sugar was high. Are these issues because her blood sugar is high or something else? (8 Jun 2007)

48. My daughter's blood sugars are often high. She recently took a test and scored lower than she did two years ago. Does diabetes affect the right part of the brain or any part of the brain that does most of the thinking? (7 Jun 2007)

49. Although my fasting blood sugars and glucose tolerance test results were normal, my A1c is elevated. Why would this occur? What treatment should I have? (7 Jun 2007)

50. My daughter has had diabetes since birth. Will she have to take insulin forever? Is there any other possible treatment? (5 Jun 2007)

51. We recently gave our 12 year old responsibility for drawing up and administering her insulin. She admitted to giving herself extra insulin. How dangerous is this, both short- and long-term? Is this common? (4 Jun 2007)

52. My daughter has had diabetes for 15 years. She is pregnant and wants to know if she should save her umbilical cord for a stem cell transplant for herself. Where can she find out about this? (3 Jun 2007)

53. My niece suffers from constipation and frequent high blood sugars (over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Is there a link between being constipated and high glucose levels? Will keeping her constipation under control help lower her levels? (3 Jun 2007)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts