From Independence, Missouri, USA:

My 25-year-old daughter has had diabetes since age 10. She is now pregnant and we have discussed saving the umbilical cord for stem cell transplant for herself. How should she go about finding someone in research who can advise her correctly about this research? I have been told the cost of harvest is about $1000 and about $100 a year to save it until it is used. Can we be confident that it will be saved exclusively for her or her baby? Who can we contact about stem cell transplant research in our area or in the United States?

There is no official recommendation for saving umbilical cells for possible future stem cell research. I would suggest contacting your local diabetologist and also the local obstetrician since they may know of what is available in the area, how much it would cost, what procedures and paperwork are necessary, etc. The local ADA chapter or the local JDRF chapter may also have some information for your area as well.

Posted to Research: Cure