From Pennsylvania, USA:

My daughter was tested two years ago by the school to see if she needed extra help and she did. Then, we found out that she had very high blood sugars. We have been working very hard on trying to get her blood sugars lower, but it doesn't work; they stay high. Once in a while, they are normal or low. She had to take the test again because it has been two years since her last test. She did the same with the verbal part, but her non-verbal score was 30 points lower. Does diabetes affect the right part of the brain or any part of the brain that does most of the thinking and others things?

Diabetes can affect learning. Children do not learn well when the blood sugar is low. I suggest, especially for tests, that one's blood glucose be tested before and during a test and that glucose be available if needed. There are reports of difficulties in math and motor skills with low glucose. Patients also tell me they feel "fuzzy" when the glucose is high. They don't want to be high for a test either.

I think that may have been part of the problem on the recent test you report. You might even want to retake the test and be sure the glucose is in a good range.

[Editor's comment: If your daughter is attending a public school or a public school that receives federal funding, you are entitled to a Section 504 plan in which you indicate what your daughter's care should be at school, including requirements that she be allowed to check her blood sugar (or have it checked by a responsible adult who has been educated about diabetes). See our web page on Diabetes at School for more information.

You should consult your diabetes team about ways to help bring down your daughter's blood sugars.