From Sanford, Florida, USA:

I am a recently divorced mother of four. My 10-year-old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 about four weeks ago. Now that it is summer, I am concerned about a babysitter for the kids in the summer. Until now, I had a 17-year-old teenager babysit my kids, but I would like someone who can recognize the symptoms of low blood sugars and who is able to give insulin, if needed, during lunch. I did not know if there are any local resources you could recommend I contact to find a qualified sitter to watch my children in my home.

Unfortunately, I do not know of a local agency that could help you with finding a babysitter. Usually, parents decide if they want to train their current babysitter about diabetes or find a new babysitter. If you want to train your current babysitter about diabetes, I would suggest that you talk to your health care team and see if they can help with the training. If you decide you want to find a new babysitter that is knowledgeable about diabetes, you may want to talk to other parents in your area that also have a child with diabetes. Other parents may know babysitters that have diabetes who are comfortable taking care of other children with diabetes. Is there a local parent support group that you could go to where you can ask other parents who they use as babysitters? Also, some parents train other extended family members, such as like grandparents, aunts, or uncles to take care of their children.

[Editor's comment: You could check our Family Support Network to see if there is anyone in your area. You might also want to check our Chat Rooms or Forums. BH]