Question:

From Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 13-year-old daughter had a 100+ insulin reading on a dip stick urine test given by the school nurse as part of a sports physical. The test was repeated on two successive days with the same results. What is a normal reading for a 13-year-old? Does this reading indicate diabetes? Should we schedule an appointment with our family physician?

Answer:

I recommend you take her to the doctor as soon as possible. There a reasons other than diabetes, but diabetes needs to be considered. We find diabetes like this sometimes. Other times, we find diabetes when children go into a coma and are deathly ill. If she has diabetes, it will not go away and she will eventually get very sick.