Question:

From Amsterdam, The Netherlands:

Last year, I moved and had to change my doctor. It appeared that according to my old prescription, as my new doctor says, I am using two medicines which do not properly fit. I am using 1500/5 mg Glucovance and 30 mg Actos daily. Now, the glibenclamide in the Glucovance has the same effect as the pioglitazone in the Actos, says my new doctor but he tends to leave it that way because I seem to feel fine. My A1c is now 6.7, down from 7.4. I am 75 years old. Is my doctor correct that I should continue with these two medications or is it dangerous in some respect? Should I leave out the Actos?

Answer:

Glucovance is a combination of metformin and glyburide (a drug from the class of drugs called sulfonyureas). Pioglitazone is the generic name for Actos. This drug is from a third class of agents referred to as TZDs. It is appropriate to use these drugs in combination for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, as long as patients are not experiencing heart failure, kidney failure, or liver problems. Your doctor can also screen you for these side effects. With your A1c improving so much, it sounds like you both are on to something.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes and Type 2