From Bellingham, Washington, USA:

My son was recently diagnosed with insulin resistance. I've been searching for diabetic recipes, namely, sugar free cake. Most of the recipes contain bananas. Aren't bananas a no-no for diabetics?

Bananas can be worked into a meal plan for a person with diabetes. Although they contain carbohydrate and can raise blood sugars, small portions of fruit should be included in a meal plan because of the vitamins and nutrients they provide. One-half of a large banana is approximately 15 grams of carbohydrate. If you need help with determining how to work bananas into your meal plan or need help with obtaining an individualized meal plan, please contact a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning.