Question:

From Bristol, United Kingdom:

My 11-year- old daughter had been referred to the diabetes clinic about six years ago due to severe abdominal pains, excessive thirst, sweating, etc. She was not diagnosed with diabetes. Since then, she has always suffered similar symptoms. In January 2007, she felt very poorly and had 1+ protein and blood in her urine. She was prescribed antibiotics in case of a urine infection (this came back negative). Since then, she has had several urine tests sent off to laboratories, all having negative results.

Approximately one month ago, her urine was tested again as she was very unwell, unable to walk, very tired, wanting to urinate frequently, etc. and again protein and blood were found. She was prescribed antibiotics again. She had taken the dose and went back for further tests today, June 13, and had protein, blood and also very high levels of ketones. I was asked if she had eaten and I know that she had. Her appetite has increased even though she feels nausea. She is very thirsty, too. I am unsure what can be related to protein, blood and ketones in urine and I can only think of diabetes. She did not have glucose in her urine. I have done a home test on her blood and it was 7.3 mmol/L [131 mg/dl]. What is the range for a child of 11 years?

Answer:

This sure doesn't sound like diabetes because glucose is diabetes. The ketones are probably from a poor appetite and not enough food. The protein and blood are from the kidney or urinary tract itself.

A reading of 7.3 mmol/L [131 mg/dl] isn't high and not likely diabetes, certainly not classic after all these years. It is not likely she has diabetes.

[Editor's comment: You might consider taking your daughter to a kidney specialist (nephrologist) for further testing. BH]