Question:

From Iran:

Ever since we started good glycemic control for my nephew, he's constantly gaining extra weight. Because of growth needs, we can't simply cut the carbohydrates or reduce the calorie intake. On the other hand, exercising usually yields to treating lows which, itself, means weight gain. What should we to prevent extra weight gain?

Answer:

I understand the increasing weight when good metabolic control is applied. This is a very well known effect of intensified insulin treatment and is mainly related to the extra calories that, on good metabolic control, are not lost any longer with urine as glycosuria and are stored as fat by insulin. The only way to avoid this gaining is to adopt a proper diet. I suggest you to ask for a consultation with a dietitian with experience in type 1 diabetes.