From Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh, India:

My 48-year-old brother has an elevated A1c level, 8.2, with normal blood glucose levels. Repeated values of random and fasting glucose levels are normal. Would you consider him diabetic? His A1c has been on higher side for five or six years.

I would suggest a 75 gram oral glucose tolerance test. This is the most sensitive measure for diagnosing diabetes. There are occasions when the hemoglobin A1c does not follow the glucose levels. This may occur when patients also have an extra type of hemoglobin in their blood. Your doctor can measure this test called a hemoglobin electrophoresis.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Diagnosis and Symptoms