Question:

From Massachusetts, USA:

My six-year-old son has been diagnosed with migraines resulting from low blood sugar. In July 2006, he went to the Emergency Room with what at first was thought to be a diabetic seizure but was ruled out with an CAT scan and a blood test. That was when I was told it could be the start of migraines. He did have a test that tested what his blood sugar was for the previous three months. Based on the results, his pediatrician said he was fine. He has since then had three more migraines. He also urinates at least 12 times a day. I have to watch what he drinks because his thirst is never satisfied. In the past year, he has also started to wet the bed at night after being toilet trained since the age of two and a half. Should he be retested or tested for something else that is in the diabetes family? Could the headaches be a sign of something?

Answer:

I would definitely suggest being retested for diabetes. The symptoms your child is having are common with new onset diabetes.