Question:

From Birmingham, United Kingdom:

My wife has a brother with DIDMOAD (diabetes insipidus, diabetes mellitus, optic atrophy and deafness) who was diagnosed when he was six years old. We are planning on having children and were wondering what the odds were on our children inheriting this condition. Neither myself or my wife have diabetes and neither do our parents.

Answer:

We believe that DIDMOAD or DIDMOAND is an inherited or genetic condition. There are familial cases reported but perhaps could be related to isolated genes, one from each parent or a new mutation. You should discuss this more specifically with your endocrine team and with your pediatrician and consider getting a formal consultation with a genetics team so that you can find out about the latest research and whether or not testing is available for more detailed genetic counseling.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity