From Itasca, Texas, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes and control it with oral medications. I also am taking Vytorin, one daily; Niaspan, three daily; and Omacor, four daily. Since I have been taking the Niaspan and the Omacor, my blood sugar readings increased a lot. I was running around 90 mg/dl [5.0 mmol/L] to 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. Now, it is hardly ever under 250 mg/dl [13.8 mmol/L] and often a lot of the time higher than that. Can Niaspan or Omacor cause the readings to increase and, if so, which increases it most? I take Actos, 45 mg, and Glyburide/Metformin 205/500, two in the morning and two with my evening meal.

Niacin is known to induce insulin resistance. I would suggest you discuss this with your physician. It may be appropriate to stop your niacin and see if your blood sugars go back down. However, please do not stop any medications without the knowledge of your physician. This would be inappropriate.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Other Medications