From Samos Island, Greece:

One of my daughters has had type 1 diabetes for three years. My other daughter, two years younger and a bit overweight, has an A1c of 5.9. Is this normal? If not, what should I do?

You already know that obesity is a health problem and certainly can compromise insulin action/function and help precipitate diabetes. It sounds like time to get serious about cutting calories and increasing activity each day.

The laboratory results you report are not normal and should be checked several times to see if they persist or not. You should also discuss this with your diabetes team to decide what monitoring would be needed. Bringing some profiles of blood glucose levels, pre-breakfast and one hour post-breakfast, pre-lunch and one hour post-lunch and pre-dinner plus one hour post-dinner for two or three days would also be helpful as might antibody testing to see if this is an early phase of diabetes.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Diagnosis and Symptoms