Question:

From Portville, New York, USA:

Diagnosed with type 1 in February 2007, my 12-year-old son began having a terrible time with constipation in mid April. We have since gotten this pretty much under control. The first week of May he began having headaches whenever he stood up. This lasted for about a month. Since then, he now gets them on and off all day. Two MRIs have been negative. He was started on Elavil, 25 mg, last week. It has not yet helped his headaches. Have you ever heard of pre-teens having this problem after 10 weeks of very well regulated blood sugars? Could this be caused by Lantus or Humalog? I can't find any mention of headaches except relating to high or low sugars.

Answer:

This does not sound related to diabetes at all. I would agree to look for other causes. Thyroid issues, adrenal problems, and celiac can sometimes be very subtle. You should go back and discuss this in detail with the diabetes team and perhaps get a neurologic consultation. Depression with anxiety sometimes also can contribute.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Insulin Analogs