From Belton, Missouri, USA:

My seven-year-old daughter that ALWAYS complains of her stomach hurting. Every time she eats, she says her stomach hurts. This has gone on for over six months. The last three weeks, she has thrown up once a week and right after that she lays down and sleeps 10 to 20 minutes and is just fine after that. When this has happened, she has always had something sweet (and not too much). The first time, she had a little bit of a funnel cake. The second time, she had pancakes from McDonald's and the last time, she had one of the cupcake packages of five little doughnuts. When she says her stomach hurts, I assumed maybe she still didn't know that she might need to use the bathroom, but more and more lately I am wondering if it is something else. I have a brother who has diet-controlled diabetes. Should I have my daughter checked? Is this the sign of something seriously wrong?

I would encourage you to go and see your pediatrician. Your daughter's symptoms are troubling and she would benefit from a thorough history and physical examination.

[Editor's comment: Please read our page on Celiac disease, an autoimmune disorder that occurs when the body reacts to foods containing grains such as wheat, barley, and rye. You may wish to consider asking your pediatrician have your daughter checked for this. BH]

Posted to Aches and Pains and Diagnosis and Symptoms