Question:

From Boynton Beach, Florida, USA:

When we lived in Ohio, our doctor had an in-office A1c testing unit he used to get my daughter's average sugar for the past three to four months. It just used a drop of blood. In south Florida, I have yet to find a doctor who uses the same procedure. They require a blood draw, laboratory tested A1c test. My daughter has such a awful time with the blood draws. It's literally traumatic for her. Why don't all pediatric endocrinologists have one? Is it the price? I've tried to get our doctor to accept the home tests at least once or twice a year, but she insists on every three month blood draws. Please help us understand the reason.

Answer:

This sounds like a quality control issue using the same A1c laboratory and procedure all the time so that comparisons can be made, changes in values understood easier and automatic retrieval of results. However, it is a good question since all the A1c testing can be done with capillary tubes. We have done so for more than 20 years so I would ask your current endocrinologist why this cannot also be done. Also, things like EMLA cream can also be applied one hour before blood tests from veins so that there is no pain at all. This will not work for the anxiety of the tests, but eliminates the actual pain for your child. This, too, should be discussed.

Posted to Other and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c