Question:

From Delaware, USA:

My daughter had several blood tests a week ago for possible celiac disease. The pediatrician's office just called with the results. They asked me if the blood was taken while she was fasting. It was taken in the early morning; she had nothing to eat. They told me her blood sugar was 149 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. They also told me they would call me back after they talked to the doctor. I am still waiting for a call. Does this elevated blood sugar mean she had diabetes?

Answer:

A normal blood sugar is typically 65 mg/dl [3.6 mmol/L] to 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L], depending on the laboratory. Occasionally, one can have higher blood sugars after a meal. I would suggest talking with your pediatrician about that mildly elevated sugar as they may wish to do some further testing.