Question:

From Midland, Texas, USA:

My daughter's doctors have had us using a sliding scale for her insulin. At the age of four, my daughter has had diabetes for three years. I read an article about the use of sliding scales for insulin and I am now worried. Is there a better way to dose her insulin? If, so how? After I know these other ways to do her insulin, I will go to her doctor about a change if there is a better way.

Answer:

There are many ways to manage diabetes. The use of "flexible" insulin (for what is eaten and the blood glucose) is commonly used today....and with good results. The other way is with fixed doses of insulin. I expect your doctor worries that in a child so young, you may be faced with insulin given but refusal to eat "enough" for the insulin and a low. This is a great discussion for you and your doctor. Engage in it so you understand WHY you are managing as you are.

[Editor's comment: You may wish to discuss Carbohydrate Counting and dosing insulin appropriately with your diabetes team. You might also want to discuss the use of Insulin Pump Therapy. BH]

Posted to Insulin and Daily Care