Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from August 2007

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. We have three meters that were malfunctioning so we got a One Touch UltraMini. Now, it is also malfunctioning. Could these problems be related to our wireless Internet? Are the meters unreliable? (31 Aug 2007)

2. I'm an obese person with type 1. How would I know if I were significantly insulin resistant? Am I resistant because of my weight? How much insulin per kilogram of weight is considered too much? (31 Aug 2007)

3. When I was at the ER for the stomach flu, my blood sugars were low and I had moderate urine ketones. The doctor had me suspend my pump for eight hours. Was this the right thing to suggest or not? (31 Aug 2007)

4. I am 25 years old and I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am not overweight. How could I have type 2? (31 Aug 2007)

5. I recently had a blood sugar reading of 13 mg/dl [0.7 mmol/L] and was unconscious for some time. Could this have caused brain damage? Could I have gone into a coma? (31 Aug 2007)

6. In early August, my toddler was diagnosed with type 1. Is there a cure? What causes it? Could she maybe have something else? Is there an Eastern medicine that could cure her? I am very distraught seeing her dry for tests and injections. (29 Aug 2007)

7. My daughter was on metformin for elevated blood sugars. An endocrinologist has suggested she stop the medication to see what happens. What should I do? (28 Aug 2007)

8. Is it possible to put a virus in a pancreas and keep it there to have it attack the T cells and eventually produce insulin? (28 Aug 2007)

9. Today, one of my five-year-old twins slept until 3 p.m. Then, he said he was still tired. After some sips of soda, he was 61 mg/dl [3.4 mmol/L]. Is this reading normal for his age and weight or is that low? (27 Aug 2007)

10. Diagnosed with borderline diabetes, I often nap to get rid of bad headaches. I cannot be awakened from these naps. Is this related to diabetes? Also, does having hypothyroidism affect being borderline diabetic? (27 Aug 2007)

11. Sometimes I hit a blood vessel and bleed out when doing my insulin injection so I don't know how much insulin is injected. What should I do in this situation? (26 Aug 2007)

12. Since a severe low, my teen daughter has been letting her blood sugars run high. She's afraid and in a rut from which she cannot pull herself. What should we do? How long can one wait to eat after taking a shot of NovoLog? (25 Aug 2007)

13. My daughter has type 1, celiac, and possibly NASH. Are there any clinics in the United States that specialize in the management and treatment of multiple diseases? (25 Aug 2007)

14. Six months ago, I was diagnosed with hyperglycemia and put on insulin. After three months, I stopped insulin and went on metformin. My blood sugars are now in range. So, what type of diabetes do I have? Is my microalbuminuria level high? (24 Aug 2007)

15. My son's teacher believes my son's lack of attention and inability to do his classwork are related to his diabetes. I am not sure of this. Should I have him evaluated for an attention problem? (24 Aug 2007)

16. What can tell me about the available pumps? How about the current sensors? Which pump is best for me since I am a runner? (23 Aug 2007)

17. Is acanthosis nigricans/insulin resistance always classic? Are there any similar syndromes? (23 Aug 2007)

18. Since a bowel resection a few months ago, I am unable to feel my lows. Will this improve when I'm fully healed? Also, should I change my pain medication to take less acetaminophen? Doesn't it have a negative effect on the kidneys? (22 Aug 2007)

19. Does anyone have updated information on "alert dogs?" What do you know about their effectiveness, cost, availability? Can you train your own dog? (22 Aug 2007)

20. Do you know of any diabetic kids/teens who have gone to the Cumberland Hospital for Children & Adolescents and had a successful outcome? (21 Aug 2007)

21. Diagnosed with type 1 in February 2005, my daughter was essentially off insulin in 2006. Now, she has pain, nausea and weight gain. Could she have been misdiagnosed? Did the insulin she received mess up her metabolism? Or, is she still in a honeymoon phase? (20 Aug 2007)

22. Since I have type 1, I checked my one-year-old's blood sugar. It was 198 mg/dl [11.0 mmol/L]. This isn't normal, is it? Should I talk to the doctor as soon as possible? (20 Aug 2007)

23. I have prednisolone induced diabetes, which I thought was like type 2. So, why have I recently had ketones and weight loss? (20 Aug 2007)

24. The doctor recommended exercise and diet for my son's pre-diabetes. Is this condition preventable? Will he eventually need insulin injections? (18 Aug 2007)

25. Since diagnosis, my daughter has always tested negative for antibodies. She even stopped insulin for six months, but used metformin instead. She's now on both. What type of diabetes does she have? Our doctor is not sure. (18 Aug 2007)

26. I had salmonella in December and am now having higher blood sugars. Can salmonella have a long-term affect on type 2 diabetes? (17 Aug 2007)

27. Recently, after some basal changes suggested by the endocrinologist, my son has had two lows in which he has been extremely confused. What would cause this? (16 Aug 2007)

28. Is it the standard to discharge a diabetic patient without teaching before discharge, to facilitate matters so that patient's needs will be addressed? When hospitalized in July, my elderly mother was given insulin for high blood sugars, then discharged without diabetes education. This just doesn't seem right to me. (16 Aug 2007)

29. My boyfriend is so needlephobic, he often doesn't give himself insulin. His mood changes and he suffers physically. He's considering a pump. Is there one that uses NovoLog? How can I help him get his diabetes under control? (16 Aug 2007)

30. My husband and two daughters have type 1. My son has celiac, like his father and one sister, and I have hypothyroidism. Why DOESN"T my son have type 1 diabetes? How likely is it that he will get it? (15 Aug 2007)

31. I'm confused about your previous answers about sugar alcohols. How do we count them, the same as sugar or half? (15 Aug 2007)

32. Sometimes I get air bubbles under my skin when I do my insulin injections. Is that bad? How can I eliminate the bubbles? (14 Aug 2007)

33. Despite many high blood sugars on a glucometer, my daughter's blood sugars were normal in a glucose tolerance test. She's still having highs at home. What could this be? What should I do next? (13 Aug 2007)

34. After about 30 years with type 1, I have been diagnosed with celiac and am having blood sugar spikes. Is this normal? How should I handle them? (13 Aug 2007)

35. This year, like others, my teen daughter is now experiencing more lower blood sugars than before going to camp. Why does this happen? Is the camp diet causing her body to react differently to the insulin? Is she just doing a better job with counting carbohydrates and such? (12 Aug 2007)

36. What is the normal protocol for blood sugar levels that are too high at a meal time? (12 Aug 2007)

37. Until about five years ago, we lived, for almost two years, in a house with a confirmed mold problem. Is it possible the mold triggered our son's recently diagnosed type 1 diabetes? (12 Aug 2007)

38. My daughter, who does not have diabetes, had an A1c of 5.7. Does this indicate she is diabetic or pre-diabetic? (12 Aug 2007)

39. What is the life span of a person who is born with diabetes? (12 Aug 2007)

40. My doctor says that my teen daughter should be responsible for all aspects of her diabetes care, that we parents should not help her. Do you feel this is appropriate? (9 Aug 2007)

41. My daughter tested positive for insulin IgG antibodies, but negative for other antibodies. What does this mean? Is she still producing insulin, but destroying it at the same time? (9 Aug 2007)

42. At age 16, I am only 5 feet, 5 inches tall, partly due to high A1cs, but I now have better control of my blood sugars. If I switch to Lantus, will it help me grow? (9 Aug 2007)

43. I was diagnosed with sinus tachycardia, then hypoglycemia. If you slow the heart rate down with beta blockers, will that make my system burn less glucose? I am having trouble with low blood sugars despite frequent meals. (7 Aug 2007)

44. A swimmer, my daughter's infusion sets come off in the pool or right afterwards. We've tried I.V. prep, Tegaderm and band aids. How can we get the sets to stick? (7 Aug 2007)

45. Our insurance company is not covering the Real-Time continuous glucose monitor for my child. What do you suggest I put in the appeal letter I plan to send to the insurance company? (7 Aug 2007)

46. My daughter drinks excessively and had urine ketones. Her fasting glucose was 93 mg/dl [5.2 mmol/L] and her A1c was 5.9. What do these results mean? (7 Aug 2007)

47. My son is doing a 20 mile sponsored walk for school. How should he manage his diabetes during this event? (7 Aug 2007)

48. When I eat sweet foods or drink diet pop, I smell a sickening odor that waxes and wanes. Others do not notice the odor. Is this a symptom of diabetes? (6 Aug 2007)

49. My toddler had a 95% pancreatectomy for nesidioblastosis. What kind of medication can I give her so that she can sleep for several hours? (6 Aug 2007)

50. My son has diabetes and takes insulin once or twice a day. His left foot is cracked. Why is this? How do we treat it? How do we prevent this? (6 Aug 2007)

51. Since switching to a MiniMed pump and Quick-sets, my blood sugars are running higher. Could the Quick-set be the problem? Is there latex in the sticky part? Something on it causes itching. (6 Aug 2007)

52. After a tonsillectomy, my son had thrush and stomach pain. On a home meter, he was 231 mg/dl [12.8 mmol/L]. When the thrush clears, will his blood sugars return to normal? Could the high blood sugars be from stress? Should he have further monitoring? (6 Aug 2007)

53. Despite proper nutritional education, my daughter's stepmom gives her a lot of "treats" claiming my daughter will sneak them anyway. Also, she withholds food when my daughter is high and ignores pump alarms. What can I do to ensure my daughter gets proper care at her dad's house? (4 Aug 2007)

54. I am a teen in the Slovak Replublic. Where can I find financial aid to play tennis? (4 Aug 2007)

55. Through TrialNet, our daughter tested positive for GAD and MIAA auto-antibodies. Does this mean her body is already attacking her beta cells? Will she get diabetes? If she qualifies, should she start on oral medication? (4 Aug 2007)

56. While hospitalized for vomiting, my toddler had low blood sugars that were then high after getting glucose. He tested positive for GAD antibodies. Does this mean he will get type 1? What are the odds? (4 Aug 2007)

57. How are a child's development and well-being affected by type 1 diabetes? How is the child's family affected? (3 Aug 2007)

58. Is there an insulin pump that will send a notice to a phone when something is wrong or insulin is given the the patient? (3 Aug 2007)

59. Are there any worldwide programs to help get insulin pumps for free or at a reduced cost? (3 Aug 2007)

60. At diagnosis, I had no C-Peptide and positive antibodies. Now, four years later, I have measurable C-Peptide and negative antibodies. Have you ever heard of this? (3 Aug 2007)

61. When he was born with a low blood sugar and a few other problems, a nurse said my son might develop diabetes. At eight months, his skin smells sweet and he is overweight. Is this cause for concern? (3 Aug 2007)

62. How do you know when a low is going to continue to keep going down? How do you know when to continue to treat a low? (2 Aug 2007)

63. For meal planning for someone with type 1, do I count his sugar intake (grams) or just the carbohydrates? Or, do I need to count both? (2 Aug 2007)

64. At the ER for abdominal pain, my son's blood sugar was 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. We were told to follow-up with the pediatrician. Could this have been just a fluke or something more serious? (2 Aug 2007)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts