From Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA:

I took my son to the Emergency Room (ER) yesterday for severe abdominal pain. He ended up being diagnosed with irritable bowel and was given medication that will control spasms in his bowels when it flares up. When they ran his blood work, they found that his blood sugar was high, 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. They suggested we see his pediatrician in two days, which I have scheduled. The test in the ER should have been very accurate because he hadn't eaten or drank anything in over 10 hours. Could this have been just a fluke or something more serious? My mom and his dad's mom both have diabetes. I know nothing about this and I'm wondering if I'm worrying over nothing or if this is diabetes. My son is 10 and very active. Any information you can give me would be great.

Start with stress as the likely cause. ER high glucoses are common, then you look and it never is again. That said, you should follow-up with the pediatrician to be sure it isn't diabetes. Are there symptoms, such as frequent urination, getting up at night to go to the bathroom, thirst, weight loss? Even if all this turns out to be okay and it likely will, those are some of the symptoms of diabetes.