Question:

From Westfield, Massachusetts, USA:

After recently switching to a MiniMed insulin pump, my blood sugars have been very elevated, now at an average of 184 mg/dl [10.2 mmol/L] as opposed to 136 mg/dl [7.6 mmol/L]. Since I also switched from using an Inset infusion set to a Quick-set, could the Quick-set be the problem? My skin also gets very red and itchy while I wear the Quick-set and after I remove it. Is there possibly latex in the sticky part? My skin is also irritated by band aids. Or, is there something different about the Quick-set that could be doing this?

Answer:

The Quick-set has a different connection type than the Inset that you are used to. The Inset has a small needle at the tubing end that "clicks" into the base of the infusion set. The needle pierces the hub like a needle pierces the bottle of insulin. The Quickset operates differently. When using it, you must align the tunnel from the tubing side into the base tunnel side. The triangles must match up exactly in order for you to get insulin delivery.

If you were using a different pump, it may have dosed basal insulin differently. The Medtronic pump doses in 0.05 unit pulses per hour. The Deltec doses in 0.05 units, but divides it into 3 minute delivery and the Animas doses 0.025 units and divides it into 3 minute delivery. If you are on a lower basal dose, you may be getting basal insulin less or much less frequently. You should begin with basal testing and make adjustments with your doctor's assistance.

NB

Posted to Insulin Pumps