Question:

From Mokena, Illinois, USA:

I have two brothers and a sister with type 2 and a sister with type 1. If I eat anything sweet or even drink diet pop, I smell a sickening odor that waxes and wanes. I don't think it's my breath and other people, such as my husband, say they can't smell anything. Could this be a symptom of diabetes?

I was tested once and they said it was borderline, but after that they said my results are good. Meanwhile, I can still smell it.

Answer:

I have never heard of abnormal smell being a symptom of diabetes. However, I would suggest you be tested regularly. Borderline diabetes is not really a true entity. You either have diabetes or you don't. If you were close to hitting the cutoff for diabetes, please have yourself retested regularly.