Question:

From Supply, North Carolina, USA:

My daughter drinks excessively and had ketones in her urine. Her pediatrician ordered a fasting glucose, which was 93 mg/dl [5.2 mmol/L] and a hemoglobin A1c, which was 5.9. She is three and a half years old and weights approximately 40 pounds. What do these results suggest? Is it borderline diabetes? I have begun to monitor her diet closely.

Answer:

Interpretation of laboratory testing requires a thorough physical examination and history and is difficult at best to do using this forum. Although the laboratory testing does not look terribly abnormal, I would ensure that your daughter seeks regular follow-up with her pediatrician. She may benefit from further testing if she continues to drink excessively.