Question:

From Silver Spring, Maryland, USA:

My child uses a Cozmo insulin pump and Ultra short infusion sets. She is on the swim team and no matter where we put her site, abdomen or bottom, it tends to fall out either while in the pool or after she gets out. It is becoming quite frustrating changing her site every day, not to mention expensive! We use I.V. prep and have tried Tegaderm and regular band aids to hold it in place.

Answer:

Some advice from our diabetes nurse educator: "Mastisol Spray is good. Spray on skin before, insert and spray on again after insertion. Tegaderm tends to make the sites heavy and pull off even more. Liquid band aid is working well for some families, too. It makes things a bit "waterproof." You could also possibly try a different infusion set with different adhesive. The Inset infusion set is compatible with the Cozmo and 'sticks' well."

LAD

Additional comments from Rick Philbin, sports and exercise specialist:

Keeping infusion sets on can be difficult for some pump users, especially when perspiration or water is involved. When I.V. Prep and Tegaderm fail, other measures can be taken. Many pump users keep infusion sets on for three days. A technique may be to change every two days or change after heavy exercise.

Another idea is to use Tuf-Skin under the tape of the infusion set. This product is typically sprayed on bare ankles prior to using athletic tape for athletes with ankle injuries. Make sure the area is clean and dry before applying. It can also be used by applying to a Q-tip and dabbing just below where the infusion set tape is coming undone. Tuf-Skin can be purchased through any sports medicine supply web site.

RP

Posted to Insulin Pumps