Question:

From East Norriton, Pennsylvania, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 12. Now in my 40s, I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. Now that my gut has healed, I am having blood sugar spikes. Is this normal? How should I handle them? I use an insulin pump. My last A1c, before my diagnosis with celiac, was 6.2. I know it will be much higher when I go for my next A1c, next week.

Answer:

The gut does heal in response to decreasing the gluten content of your diet. However, I always think that the symptoms are what quiet down, in terms of improving after being on a gluten-free diet. High spikes in your blood sugar need to be evaluated in light of your meals, activities and any other factors. Since there are many other factors that may be at work here, I would suggest you speak with your physician more about these spikes.