Question:

From Hamilton, Illinois, USA:

My son was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes. His blood sugar level was 112 mg/dl [6.2 mmol/L] after fasting for the night. The doctor suggested exercise and diet, but I was just wondering about more specifics on what he should/shouldn't be eating. I also wondered if this condition is considered preventable or if diet and exercise will just prolong insulin injections. Any suggestions or ideas you have would be helpful in talking with our healthcare professional more.

Answer:

Firstly, you should look at the pages on our site headed What is Type 2 Diabetes? and you might also find the American Diabetes Association's page on Pre-Diabetes helpful.

A fasting glucose of 112 mg/dl [6.2 mmol/L] is pre-diabetes. The science behind prevention was developed in the diabetes prevention program (DPP): 30 minutes of vigorous exercise daily and in the DPP about 10 to 15 pounds of weight loss resulted in 58% fewer new cases of diabetes. So, yes, diabetes is preventable. Your child needs a nutrition consultation in addition. Your physician should be able to recommend a dietitian. Healthy family eating is the key.

It is likely that you and his dad are also at risk to develop diabetes. Even if you only put it off 20 years in all of you, that would be great!

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2