Question:

From Australia:

I get prednisolone/steroid induced diabetes when I take prednisolone for asthma, which I've had for a little over 10 years. I never had problems with blood sugars and prednisolone until November 2006. Just recently, I've been put on it again and have been getting blood sugar levels up to 26 mmol/L [468 mg/dl] along with moderate ketones and weight loss, 2 kilos (about 4.5 pounds) in two days. I've been prescribed NovoRapid and Lantus now and was told to see the doctor when I'm off the prednisolone.

The ketones confuse me because from what I've read, steroid induced diabetes is like type 2 diabetes and is caused by insulin resistance. So, why then does prednisolone induced diabetes for me cause the ketones and weight loss?

Answer:

Poorly controlled diabetes is associated with an increase in urine ketones, but this is not ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis is the result of the fully decompensated condition of type 1 diabetes. You are correct in thinking you have type 2 diabetes. However, the presence of urine ketones is not diabetic ketoacidosis.