Question:

From Navarre, Florida, USA:

In February 2005, my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. My husband and his brother also have type 1 diabetes. We were told we caught it early because her sugar was only 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] and she was slightly acidotic. She then six years old and weighed 28 pounds. She was started on NovoLog 70/30, five units in the morning and evening. She improved and gained weight. All was fine until her sugars started to bottom out. By the end of 2005, she was off insulin. In 2006, she got insulin only two or three times, just when her fasting blood sugar was over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. But, she continues to gain weight. Now, we're half-way through 2007 and she is 53 inches tall and weighs 65 pounds. She will be nine in a few weeks. She is very active, but appears to look overweight. Before her insulin, she was light as a feather; now, she is very solid and thick. She has not had any insulin in a year. I'm very concerned about her weight. She goes through periods of abdominal pains. nausea, vomiting with blood sugars in the 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L] to 50 mg/dl [2/8 mmol/L] range, then her fasting blood sugar will be in the 180 mg/dl [10.0 mmol/L] to 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] range, then she's better. I'm so confused and worried and wonder if she really was not a diabetic and she didn't need the insulin. Did we mess up her metabolism? I know she is confused as well. Could she still be in a honeymoon phase?

Answer:

You need to have her checked by a pediatric diabetes specialist. She could have type 2 diabetes, not type 1 and need treatment as such. The weight gain is worrisome and potentially very dangerous since it stresses an already stressed pancreas. Antibody testing may be helpful to decide which type, but only if they are positive. Negative antibody tests won't help much. She also needs lipid, blood pressure, thyroid and celiac testing, probably. Many of us would never completely stop insulin if she has type 1 diabetes, in an effort to help a damaged pancreas. But, you need a more specific diagnosis and help with management of the weight gain. It is unlikely that insulin for a short period of time is at all related to her weight gain. Excess calories, too big portions, too much fat and too little activity are usually the culprits as are excess television, computer, telephone time, etc.