Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

I was just wondering if it is possible to localize a virus only in the pancreas and keep it there. If I were to put a virus with beta cell DNA in the lytic cycle, can it maintain itself only in the pancreas? Here's what I'm thinking: Get a virus. Kill it’s DNA, put the protein coat in with the beta cells. The virus takes the beta cell DNA, which is injected into the pancreas, if possible, one time, if not, through a monthly injection into the arm or stomach. It attacks T cells, so add immunosuppressant drugs first, then the virus injects DNA into localized T cells. The T cells in the pancreas become beta cells, which produce islet cells. The islet cells produce insulin and the virus continues to attacks T cells to become beta cells due to the lytic cycle. One becomes insulin independent, but the virus must stay localized in pancreas; it must not leave the pancreas. The problem is that I don't know how to get the virus directly to the pancreas. It would be CD4+ T cells are what causes adaptive immune responses, so the virus would have to react to the T cell.

Answer:

It's a nifty idea, but there is no way to actually do what you are proposing. Maybe some clever research virologist or immunologist will figure out a way to do it though.

Posted to Research: Cure