From San Diego, California, USA:

Do you have any information about using n-acetyl glucosamine in conjunction with their normal insulin regamin? I'd seen a UCI study from August that showed it might help. Do you know if there is any risk involved in taking the n-acetyl glucosamine? Could this be stopping the autoimmune reaction?

My 10-year-old son, who has had type 1 since 2002, has been taking 3 mg of n-acetyl glucosamine each day for three months and we have seen an approximate 10% reduction in the amount of insulin he needs and an "evening out" of his blood sugars with much fewer highs and lows. In addition, he has had celiac antibodies all these five years (but no evidence of celiac in his endoscopy) and his TTG IGA antibodies dropped in half over this same time period (from 150+ to 74).

Sorry. Nothing that I know suggests adding this clinically.