Question:

From New Orleans, Louisiana, USA:

My husband and I are both type 1 diabetics. He was diagnosed 27 years ago and I was diagnosed almost eight years ago. We are both on MiniMed 512 insulin pumps. We went to a seminar about upgrading to the continuous glucose monitors. He is extremely excited about it. I think because he has had problems in the past with hypoglycemic unawareness and A1cs in the 10s, it would work for him. I, on the other hand, think it would make me feel a little overwhelmed knowing my sugar every five minutes. I would like to do it for a week or so to see trends and adjust accordingly, but I am pretty content with my current treatment plan. My last A1c was 6.2 and has been as low as 5.0 in the past. My husband thinks by avoiding it I am not taking advantage of everything technology has to offer to extend my own life for my family. I strongly disagree and think what I am doing now is working so, why change? I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make him understand the technology isn't for everyone long term. Or, is there something I'm not seeing and just maybe he is right and it would make life simpler instead of making diabetes more intrusive?

Answer:

I agree with you completely. You are actually doing well with your control and he is not. He is ready for the adjustment to the technology and you are not. The issue here is not how many take advantage of the latest technology, the issue is how can the latest technology help you the most. Besides, if you have one sensor in the family, and you upgrade both pumps, you may be able to take advantage of it in an intermittent way, as you have already mentioned. I think that would be a great idea.

Posted to Continuous Sensing