From Sonoma, California, USA:

I know a four-year-old child whose mother had diabetes when she was pregnant with him. He seems to be coming up with some symptoms. She works for minimum wage and has no insurance. Can you direct me to a source that could possibly help them? I feel it is important for her to find out as soon as possible.

The first solution is to provide a means to pay for the child's health care. Healthy Families is the California version of the federally funded state child health insurance program. While there are income caps for participation, your description of this family leads me to think they would qualify. CCS is a California state program that treats children with certain physical limitations and chronic health conditions or diseases, including diabetes. CCS can authorize and pay for specific medical services and equipment provided by CCS-approved specialists. The California Department of Health Services manages the CCS program. Participation in CCS has income requirements or is used in tandem with the Healthy Families program. But, children can participate in CCS without participation in Healthy Families. Further, there is an exception to the income guidelines when the out-of-pocket medical expenses for a child who qualifies are expected to be more than 20 percent of family income. More information about subsidized health insurance programs for children in California can be found at California Healthy Families. As for the other needs in obtaining health insurance, I would suggest reviewing the Consumer Guide to Getting and Keeping Health Insurance in California produced by the Georgetown University School for Health Policy.

Posted to Insurance/Costs