From Alabama, USA:

I had a two hour blood glucose test done. My fasting blood sugar was 75 mg/dl [4.2 mmol/L] after the glucose drink. At 30 minutes, it was 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L]; after one hour, it was 202 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]; after two hours, it was 213 mg/dl [11.8 mmol/L] and some sugar spilled over. Thirty minutes later, my blood sugar was 189 mg/dl [10.5 mmol/L].

Up until about a month ago, I had poor eating habits. I would eat one breakfast burrito and a small sweet tea at 7 a.m. and not eat another meal or snack until about 6 p.m. Then, I had to test my sugars for a month on a low carbohydrate diet. If I stayed on the diet, my blood sugar was within range, but I strayed from time to time to see what the sugar would be then. They would range from anywhere from 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] to 188 mg/dl [10.4 mmol/L] two hours after eating. Sometimes my blood sugar was high at the three to four hour mark. Then, I tested myself on the diet of two meals a day that I eat and my sugars stayed in the 70s mg/dl [3.9 to 4.3 mmol/L] all day except for dinner. During the four week home sugar testing, I would have fastings ranging mainly in the 80s mg/dl [4.4 to 4.9 mmol/L] and 90s mg/dl [5.0 to 5.5 mmol/L], but had two that were 138 mg/dl [7.7 mmol/L] and 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] fasting and three that were 103 mg/dl [5.7 mmol/L] to 113 mg/dl [6.3 mmol/L].

I feel nauseous in middle of night sometimes and sometimes wake up feeling sick on top of going to bathroom more often on some days. My doctor said everything was fine, that I was not borderline or diabetic and that he was not concerned about any of the readings since my A1c came back so low, 5.1. Could the low A1c be because I had lower blood sugars when eating only twice a day?

You have diabetes. The oral glucose tolerance test is confirmation of that. Even though you have diabetes, your blood sugars must not stay up high all the time if your A1c was only 5.1%. However, you have to look at your eating habits and ask yourself if you are really eating in a healthy manner and in a way you should eat over the rest of your life. If the meals are so low so as to cause weight loss, you can lower your blood sugars. It would be natural that once you went back to eating in a more usual manner your blood sugars would rise. I would recommend you try to eat healthy so as to maintain health and good fitness. If sugars are too high, you may have to be on medication. Please go back and discuss this with your doctor.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c