Question:

From New Carrollton, Maryland, USA:

My son has been experiencing low to high blood sugars, mostly high, since he was diagnosed. His insulin dosage changed over the years but, still, I have noticed mostly he has been high. I count carbohydrates and even have him exercise. I don't know if it is because he's in different places throughout the day, school, grandma's house, and home. The only thing I see that is good is that he never has ketones. I was thinking about asking to switch to another insulin, but I don't know what's good. Currently, he's taking Humulin NPH and Regular separately three times a day. He takes them together in the morning; Regular at dinner and NPH at bedtime. Does it sound like he should have his insulin changed?

Answer:

I think, yes, he should be switched to a more current and flexible daily scheme of intensified insulin regimen based on fast acting analogues before meals and glargine (Lantus) in the evening. Be sure to discuss this with your son's diabetes team, which, hopefully, includes a pediatric endocrinologist. If you do not currently see a pediatric endocrinologist, you should try to find one in your area as this type of doctor is more appropriate.

Posted to Daily Care and Insulin