Question:

From Colorado City, Texas, USA:

I just want to know if it would be wise for me to change to an insulin pump. I've been on injections, two daily, since I was nine years old. I am now 29 years old and I am working as a medical technologist here in our county's hospital. My schedule can be so hectic sometimes that my blood sugars can be erratic.

Answer:

Personally, I find that one of the strongest indications for placing patients on an insulin pump is the need for day-to-day flexibility. The fact that you have done well without one does not negate the idea that your glucose levels may still benefit from pump therapy. At the same time, insulin pump therapy is not a requirement for patients with type 1 diabetes, although I think it is the best tool for intensive glucose control and the least amount of hypoglycemia.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Daily Care