Question:

From Minnesota, USA:

In 2005, I had my first seizure. I was very altered, having visions of talking to people who weren't there, so my mother rushed me to the Emergency Room where I had what appeared to be a grand mal seizure. I had no symptoms of diabetes or encephalitis. The only thing medically abnormal was that I had an ear infection. I went one year with no seizures, then, all of a sudden, they started again. I went through all kinds of tests, spent seven days hooked up to a video EEG and everything was normal. I was put on anti-epileptic medications due to the frequency and length of my seizures (lasting over 20 minutes). I was then diagnosed as having pseudo seizures. So, I have been taken off all medications.

I have started to notice a pattern with "seizure" episodes lately. They happen just before my lunch period at school. I become red in the face and feel sweaty, then I feel numb in my legs and hands, and I lose track of time, and stare, followed by rigid shaking on the floor. There is a strong family history of diabetes among women and I am wondering if I should demand a glucose challenge test with my pediatrician. My mom has brought this up for discussion, but all that the doctor orders is a blood glucose check and my levels are always normal. Would a challenge test possibly show something versus just a fingerprick sample? Do diabetic seizures show abnormal EEG waves? I just want to get through my senior year of high school and figure this all out. Another thing that has come up on at least two out of seven ambulance escorts to the hospital, my glucose levels were slightly low.

Answer:

Diabetes is readily diagnosable with a fasting glucose of over 126 mg/dl [7.0 mmol/L] on two occasions or a random glucose over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] with diabetes symptoms. You don't need a glucose tolerance test. Hypoglycemic seizures are almost always found with an abnormal EEG. I doubt this is sugar related.

Posted to Other Illnesses and Diagnosis and Symptoms