Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from October 2007

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My young daughter is a gymnast and we are considering getting her a pump. Are there other gymnasts who use a pump? Do they wear the pump during gymnastics? If yes, where on their body? If no, how do they manage their insulin? (31 Oct 2007)

2. I've been controlling my diabetes with yoga and oral medication, but I'm having control problems. My doctor has recommended insulin. What can you tell me about stem cell treatment? (31 Oct 2007)

3. Recent blood work revealed a fasting blood sugar of 123 mg/dl [6.8 mmol/L]. At 5 feet, 3 inches, I weigh 152 pounds. The doctor said I have pre-diabetes. What is your opinion? (31 Oct 2007)

4. My daughter is complaining about headaches and backaches. Is this related to her diabetes? (31 Oct 2007)

5. At five, my stepson is 45 inches tall and weighs 101 pounds. He is always hungry and thirsty. The pediatrician isn't that concerned. What is your opinion? (31 Oct 2007)

6. I have a family history of type 2/weight issues. I am not overweigh. I exercise and eat well. Is it inevitable that I will get type 2? Do my blood sugars mean I have pre-diabetes, which is what my doctor diagnosed? (31 Oct 2007)

7. I've been suffering from severe fatigue about an hour after meals despite being careful with carbohydrate counting and using Symlin. Where can I go to find out the cause? My endocrinologist thinks it's not related to my diabetes, but my PCP thinks it is. (27 Oct 2007)

8. First diagnosed with type 1, I was then diagnosed with type 2 due to negative antibodies. I resumed insulin immediately. Is it possible to have type 1 with negative antibodies? Previously on Medicaid, I lost my coverage due to my adult status. Where can I find insurance? (27 Oct 2007)

9. My teen son has had severe cramping in his legs, thighs, groin, arms and calves after his last two football games. How can he prevent them? (27 Oct 2007)

10. With the last two vials of insulin I've used, my son has had high afternoon blood sugars for a few weeks, then stable numbers. Why is this? Is it just coincidence? Our doctor said new insulin often causes lower blood sugars, not higher ones. (26 Oct 2007)

11. I'm really depressed about having diabetes, especially since I can't get rid of the swelling at my injection sites. How can I get rid of the swelling? (26 Oct 2007)

12. Would it be beneficial to give my younger son Omega 3 supplements to help reduce the risk of developing type 1? My older son has had type 1 for two years. (26 Oct 2007)

13. Due to lows and decreased insulin, I had my daughter's C-Peptide level checked. It was in the normal range. After three years with diabetes, how can this be? Can she still be producing some insulin? Could the test have been done improperly? (26 Oct 2007)

14. Recently, my son's morning blood sugar was 180 mg/dl [10.0 mmol/L]. Ten minutes after his insulin, he nearly fell unconscious. We gave him a glucose tablet and he felt better. Is there any way of understanding if his morning glucose level is from a rebound? Could he have felt this way because he hadn't eaten for 12 hours? (25 Oct 2007)

15. In April, our daughter had a random elevated blood sugar and an A1c of 5.2. She's had some random elevated blood sugars and, in September, an A1c of 5.5. Is this increase in A1c significant? Is she moving toward diabetes? (25 Oct 2007)

16. Since a recent stomach bug, my teen son has been having a banana and cookies instead of milk and cookies before bed. His morning blood sugar is now lower. Why is this? (23 Oct 2007)

17. My daughter's blood sugars are quite variable even when she doesn't take insulin. Is it possible she doesn't have diabetes, even though she has some high blood sugars? Could she have type 2 even though not obese? (23 Oct 2007)

18. Diagnosed with LADA five years ago, I stopped insulin due to swelling. Off insulin, the swelling went away, but it returned when I resumed insulin in order to conceive. Why is the edema not dissipating? (23 Oct 2007)

19. My son turns white and vomits if doesn't eat right before bed and first thing in the morning. Is this a sign of diabetes? (23 Oct 2007)

20. I work in a habilitation center and have a mildly retarded patient with diabetes. Do you know of resources I can use to educate him about food choices and cooking? (23 Oct 2007)

21. Although my three year old is asymptomatic for diabetes, I check his blood sugars because of a strong family history. Why would he have occasional elevated blood sugars? Other than diet, what can cause this? (23 Oct 2007)

22. I've read that if nephropathy has not started 10 to 15 years after diagnosis, you may not get it at all. My son has had excellent control for two years. Is he still at risk for it? (23 Oct 2007)

23. My young son has a linea nigra and some hyperpigmentation in his armpits, but is not overweight. Is a normal weight child is likely to have blood sugar problems at this age? (23 Oct 2007)

24. Since going on Levemir and NovoLog, my daughter has had two episodes of DKA during her menstrual cycle. Is this something other teens have experienced? How do I convince our diabetes team my daughter is compliant and may need tests for an underlying health problem? (22 Oct 2007)

25. My toddler's blood sugar is usually elevated two hours after breakfast, but in range two hours after dinner. She gets the same insulin for both meals. Why are the mornings so different? (22 Oct 2007)

26. Since his diagnosis with type 1, my son's weight has not gone up very much, even though he eats a lot. Should I give him more carbohydrates/more insulin? Why does his Humalog take so long to work? Could there be a problem with his thyroid? (22 Oct 2007)

27. One of my glucose test readings, taken at 28 weeks, was just below normal. Shouldn't I have been told I was borderline for gestational diabetes? (22 Oct 2007)

28. My husband suspects he got type 1 as an adult as a result of eating too many sweets throughout his life. Is this a correct assumption? How can we prevent our children from getting the disease? (21 Oct 2007)

29. Only 11, my daughter has consistently high blood sugars. I can't trust her to do anything and I'm fed up. She keeps eating too many sweets. What should we do? (19 Oct 2007)

30. My eight-year-old has had diabetes for five years. A gastric empyting study showed she was gastroparesis. Is there any chance of misdiagnosis? (19 Oct 2007)

31. Is it better for a person with type 1 diabetes to get the injected flu vaccine or to use the Flu Mist nasal vaccine? (19 Oct 2007)

32. Since July, I have needed to lower my teen daughter's basal rates and insulin to carbohydrate ratio. Is this related to the end of puberty or something else? (18 Oct 2007)

33. Can a child develop diabetes if they eat a lot of sugary foods? (18 Oct 2007)

34. Are low lipase levels common in type 1 diabetes and are pancreatic supplements helpful? (18 Oct 2007)

35. My son has type 1 and asthma. Is it common for diabetics to have asthma? (16 Oct 2007)

36. My teen son went off his pump, but had horrible control on injections. His insulin antibody count was 7. What does this mean? The doctor has suggested resuming the pump. Will he be able to resume injections sometime later? (16 Oct 2007)

37. Is it important to have a saline trial before starting pump therapy? How well do small children tolerate wearing an insulin pump? (16 Oct 2007)

38. How can I get my teen son to take better care of himself? Is it safe for him to take creatine? He lifts weights. (16 Oct 2007)

39. Can you give me some advice on how to start an organization to help children diagnosed with diabetes? (16 Oct 2007)

40. What can you tell me about the Cumberland Hospital for Children and Adolescents? Has anyone reported problems with the MiniMed 715 not recording all boluses and fingersticks? (16 Oct 2007)

41. My son's OLSAT scores have declined over the past few years. Does this indicate some sort of cognitive damage due to poor blood glucose control? (16 Oct 2007)

42. Are there any studies or statistics about the different hand cleaning agents that are available and if they (and by how much) affect blood sugar numbers? (15 Oct 2007)

43. For about nine months, I have been taking insulin only when extremely necessary. I often get swelling in my legs and ankles. Why is this? Is it a reaction to the insulin? (15 Oct 2007)

44. Over the summer, I gave my recently diagnosed son food supplements in addition to insulin. When taking them, he had less hypoglycemia and needed less insulin. Do you know of any doctors who are familiar with such nutritional supplements? (15 Oct 2007)

45. My son is lethargic and not doing well in his studies. How can I get my son back on track like he was before his diagnosis? (14 Oct 2007)

46. My daughter has had random elevated blood sugars, several months apart, but no symptoms of diabetes. Why would she have such random highs? When should I check for ketones? (13 Oct 2007)

47. Recently diagnosed, I gave my son insulin for an elevated blood sugar that went up to HIGH before coming in range 45 minutes later. In the future, how long should I wait for his insulin to work? At what point do I take him to the hospital? (13 Oct 2007)

48. My toddler drinks and eats much more than my four-year-old. He has not gained weight for seven months. Should I be concerned about diabetes? (10 Oct 2007)

49. Diagnosed at age two with a very high blood sugar, my son, now five, has some developmental delays. Could they have resulted from the trauma he experienced at diagnosis? (10 Oct 2007)

50. Some of my neighbors are suggesting that I seek ayurvedic treatment for my diabetes instead of insulin. What should I do? Is insulin dangerous? (10 Oct 2007)

51. What could be causing "dark spots" at the pump insertion sites of an African American child? (10 Oct 2007)

52. My four-year-old daughter has been complaining of extreme pain on the bottom of her foot. Is this something about which I should be concerned? Is it related to her diabetes? (10 Oct 2007)

53. My elderly mother has type 2. NovoRapid and detemir caused sudden glucose changes so she was put on Actrapid and detemir. Her post meal readings are still high, especially breakfast. Are we doing something wrong? Why is she so high after breakfast? (8 Oct 2007)

54. Just after her diagnosis, my four-year-old was not fussy about finger checks and injections. Now, she resists. How can we minimize the discomfort? Is this just a stage? How can we help her get through this? (8 Oct 2007)

55. At home, my daughter has had elevated blood sugars. At the ER, she was in range. Should I limit her sugar intake and continue to monitor her blood sugars? Could this be something other than diabetes? (6 Oct 2007)

56. My wife has a linea nigra, but it has been many years since she was pregnant. Is this condition permanent? What is the connection between this and diabetes? (6 Oct 2007)

57. Can a person with type 1 diabetes continue to make insulin throughout their life? Since my son seems to be able to produce some insulin more than three years since his diagnosis, could he have type 2? (4 Oct 2007)

58. What cleaning agents are recommended for cleaning the finger(s) prior to a blood sugar check? (3 Oct 2007)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts