Question:

From Nabiac, New South Wales, Australia:

My wife has a linea nigra, but it has been many years since she was pregnant. Is this condition permanent? What is the connection between this and diabetes? She is not diabetic but has a family member who is.

Answer:

Skin pigment changes are common during pregnancy with darkening of skin color. It is quite variable. Such changes tend to fade with time, but may not go away permanently. I am not aware of any association with diabetes. Since your wife does not have diabetes, this makes any association even less likely.

Additional comments from Dr. Jim Lane:

I do not think there is an association with diabetes and the pigmentation associated with pregnancy. One condition that can be associated with increased pigmentation and diabetes, especially type 1 diabetes, is adrenal insufficiency. Patients usually have fatigue, nausea, dizziness when they stand up. The pigmentation with adrenal insufficiency is also located on skin not exposed to sun.