From Nabiac, New South Wales, Australia:

My wife has a linea nigra, but it has been many years since she was pregnant. Is this condition permanent? What is the connection between this and diabetes? She is not diabetic but has a family member who is.

Skin pigment changes are common during pregnancy with darkening of skin color. It is quite variable. Such changes tend to fade with time, but may not go away permanently. I am not aware of any association with diabetes. Since your wife does not have diabetes, this makes any association even less likely.

Additional comments from Dr. Jim Lane:

I do not think there is an association with diabetes and the pigmentation associated with pregnancy. One condition that can be associated with increased pigmentation and diabetes, especially type 1 diabetes, is adrenal insufficiency. Patients usually have fatigue, nausea, dizziness when they stand up. The pigmentation with adrenal insufficiency is also located on skin not exposed to sun.