From North Carolina, USA:

An African American child with type 1 diabetes who has been using an insulin pump for about nine months has started developing "dark spots" at the pump insertion sites. I am not sure these areas are itchy or irritated. What might be the cause of this?

He probably has some scarring at the point of insertion. This is not uncommon in children using pumps and may appear dark in a child with dark skin (the technical term is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation). It is important to keep rotating the sites as much as possible, but I don't believe mild skin scarring will affect insulin infusion efficacy much, if at all.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Other