Question:

From Port St. Lucie, Florida, USA:

I have a 16-month-old son who eats more than my four-year-old daughter. He drinks up to 64 ounces of fluids, or more, daily and will eat two waffles for breakfast and ask to eat again in a couple of hours. He has also been waking up during the night asking to eat. He does not seem lethargic or unusual in any other way. He did have two unexplained seizures at 13 months. He also has not gained any weight since he was nine months old, even though he has grown almost six inches. Should I be concerned about diabetes? We do not have a family history, although I myself do have an autoimmune disorder.

Answer:

I would have your child evaluated by a pediatrician. It does not sound like he has type 1 diabetes, but his failure to gain weight for seven months is very concerning and worthy of further evaluation. Whether this is a result of his excessive fluid intake or there is an underlying issue (such as diabetes insipidus) for excessive fluid intake is something your doctor can help you determine.

LAD