From Cunningham, Kansas, USA:

Can a child develop diabetes if they eat a lot of sugary foods? My grandson will be two years old next month and he is allowed to eat sugary food daily and drink pop almost every day. I have told my son and daughter-in-law that it is unhealthy for him and could be the reason he is below average in his weight and height for his age. I had someone tell me that some people can cause their child to develop diabetes by allowing them to eat a lot of sugary foods.

Sorry, this just isn't true. That said, I am opposed to that much sugar, which isn't really "sugar," but high fructose corn syrup. Our obesity epidemic is mostly a lack of exercise, but the amount of sugar consumed is frightening.