Question:

From Lafayette, Louisiana, USA:

My daughter has had type 1 diabetes for five years. She was just diagnosed with gastroparesis, confirmed by a gastric emptying study. She had only digested 8% of the eggs she had eaten in two hours. Is there any chance of misdiagnosis? I am baffled, as her A1cs are 6.8 and she is only eight years old. Everything I am reading suggests this doesn't happen when you have good control.

Answer:

I wonder if this is an unrelated problem since as you said with short term diabetes and rather excellent A1c levels, this would all be quite unusual, in my experience. I assume that she has been checked for other problems (i.e., thyroid, celiac, adrenal, vitamin deficiencies, etc.) since there are reasonable blood tests that can be used for such evaluations. I would discuss this with your diabetes team and your gastroenterology team, perhaps having them discuss this together as well.