Question:

From United Kingdom:

My three and a half-year-old son has a linea nigra and some hyperpigmentation in his armpits. I believe this may be acanthosis nigricans, which I thought was common in overweight/obese children who were likely to get type 2 diabetes due to their weight. My son is 98 cm (3 feet, 2 inches) tall and 17 kg (37 pounds) and does not look fat/obese. Can you tell me whether a normal weight child is likely to have blood sugar problems at this age? I am worried about the possibility of insulin resistance/diabetes. My son is also going to be tested for celiac disease and MDS (myelodysplastic syndromes).

Answer:

I would discuss this with your physician and perhaps arrange for consultation with a pediatric endocrinologist who can then assess whether this really is acanthosis nigricans and whether or not there is any evidence for lipid or glucose abnormalities, other causes, etc.

[Editor's comment: A normal weight child can have diabetes, but it would most likely be type 1. For more information, see What is Type 1 Diabetes? You may also wish to review our page on type 2, What are the Signs and Symptoms of Type 2? BH]