Question:

From Pembroke Pines, Florida, USA:

My son is three and has not had any typical symptoms of diabetes. Diabetes runs in my family. I had a sister that died at 11 months of age 35 years ago. My aunt had type 1, my nephew has type 1, my grandmother had type 2 and my father is borderline type 2. My son is very active and eats normal kids foods, such as chicken nuggets, french fries, peanut butter and jelly, chips, pizza, applesauce, juices, water, yogurt, milk, nuts, etc. He has had normal blood sugar often but, lately, it has been elevated at different times. It will be 244 mg/dl [13.6 mmol/L], then a few hours later, 149 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. Are there other things that can cause levels to be so high, other than diet? My sister, the mother of my nephew with type 1, says getting sick can cause levels to be high. Are there any other things that can cause it to go high? Can growing cause it to go up?

Answer:

It sounds like this could be the very early phases of developing diabetes. I would recommend consultation with an experienced pediatric diabetologist. You need to learn how he should be monitored, get antibody levels checked and perhaps some genetic studies, check and follow A1c levels and learn how frequently to monitor blood glucose levels, diet advice, etc.