Question:

From Tennessee, USA:

I'm an occupational therapist who works in a habilitation center and teaches a cooking class. I have a 50-year-old patient who is moderately to mildly mentally retarded and has diabetes. I am seeking resources to help educate him on food choices and how to cook it. He reads only site words, is independent with physical function, and is upset that he is being limited on what he can eat. Please forward me resources that might help me in this area.

Answer:

I would recommend that you check out the Idaho Plate Method. This resource has some great easy to understand and practical teaching tools for the type of patient you described. The web site has both free resources you can download and some you can order.

JMS

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Other Illnesses